I think one of the weirdest rumors that was started about me on YouTube was that I was lying about being a software engineer or computer engineer. The person who created this rumor was another content creator named Carlyle who ran a YouTube Channel called “FixProtocol”.
A man participating in something like this is already odd. However that’s not the oddest part about this story. The odd part is he started this rumor using a fake parody channel called “Stupidity Exodus”
Using this channel he made up a number of lies about me that he later on admitted he was lying about in a livestream of his that I decided to join via the LiveChat. One of his infamous lies was that I said that I was a computer engineer at NASA. When that was something I never said. I said I was a receptionist at NASA and a company called SpaceHab while I was still living in Washington, DC when I was 18 or 19.
Stupidity Exodus went to major extremes. One of which was taking a look at my LinkedIn profile. A profile I never really used to gain employment. It was mainly a profile that I used to connect with Entertainment Industry Professionals not really IT Professionals. There were some coworkers on there that I connected with but my profile was not used to get jobs in IT. I’d simply send my resume to tech recruiters or agencies to get jobs. Over the years I have been gainfully employed by the help of agencies in Atlanta such as TechSystems, Apex Systems, Robert Half International, Snelling Staffing and TRC Staffing.
Stupidity Exodus used my LinkedIn profile to mislead people by trying to convince them that I was lying about being in the tech industry. Because I did not have my software engineering experience on my profile he assumed I must not be in IT. Talk about some real stalking and assuming of epic proportions. What he did see on my profile was that I was a Data Analyst/Data Engineer and had done some Help Desk work. Which are both IT jobs. But it definitely would be the desire of a Black Man to down play any Black Woman’s position in IT ofcourse. The jealousy is real. He also tried to convince the world that I wasn’t philanthropic and that my non profit BlockEleven was me doing charity fraud. *rolls eyes*
One day I decided I wanted to do Tech Tutorials on my YouTube channel that I wasn’t really prepared for. So I made sure by my side I had a website open that would help me to make sure I was giving the right instructions. Just like a teacher would do when teaching her students a lesson from a text book. Ofcourse I know what to say off top of my head but I wanted to make sure I was right on point. He found the website I did my research on and told people I was plagiarizing simply because I used the website as a reference. Misleading everyone as if I didn’t put the link to the website in my description box. He used that video to make claims that I was lying about being in IT. It led some other people start claiming they were in IT and I wasn’t. One troll went by the name of Kara and begin uploading daily videos claiming that I was lying about being in IT. It soon came out late that she wasn’t in IT. It was her husband who was.
I had been in IT for 6 long years by the time I decided to teach tech. My first video was called The Black Female Computer Engineer. Inside of it I showed how I partially rebuilt my laptop. I noticed that in my comment section Black Men started to attack me. Immediately claiming that I was lying about being an Engineer. Even with me building a laptop right in front of them. There were some people in my comment section who thought it was cool and asked me to make more tutorials. I made 4 or 5 more tutorials and I noticed that men weren’t going to let up. I realized that they were not only attacking me in tech videos they were attacking me on videos that displayed me or other women in a positive light. This is when I realized that YouTube was starting to get worse. There was an outright war against Black Women that lasted for well into a decade by this time.
In the end of 2015 I got onto my YouTube channel and asked for donations to get my car out of repossession. During this time so many horrible things were happening to me. One of which was me moving on from my job. I speak about it in this video re- posted. It was originally made in January 2015. Stupidity Exodus in attempts to prove I was lying about my career told everyone he’d give me $2,000 if I proved I was an Engineer.
Ofcourse I thought it was absurd. He also created a GoFundMe in my name making fun of me taking donations to give me for my car. I declined his offer.
Let me explain something and be very clear. If it wasn’t for my daughter’s father bringing to my attention that I was fixing all of the laptops and computers in the house I would have never thought I was smart enough to be in IT. After high school I went straight to a tech school in Atlanta and was made fun of for being the only girl in the classroom. This led me to quit. I ended up going to college majoring in Business. It wasn’t until my daughter’s father encouraged me, years later, to get into IT. I then went to tech colleges and received a few computer certifications.
I went from being a receptionist to doing data entry to doing call center work to doing help desk to doing data analysis to doing software engineering. In the midst of all of that I started a Graphic and Web design business called Revenew Digital.
Stupidity Exodus believed I was a graphic designer but refused to believe I could build software or do coding. I wasn’t anxious to prove it to anyone either. Ultimately, it wasn’t any of their business. I know who I am and I know how smart I am.
My family was shocked people would make up such things about me. They’ve known me all of my life and have seen how interested I have been in computers. When I got into IT it made sense to them. They were wondering what took me so long. It was because people had made me think I wasn’t good enough.
Stupidity Exodus would make fun of me and say oh she’s only done help desk work or she’s only done Data Analyst work trying to downplay my abilities. Let me take some time to explain something to people who may not understand. Here’s how Data Entry, Help Desk, Data Analyst and Software Engineering are relative.
- Data Entry – A data entry clerk is a member of staff employed to enter or update data into a computer system. Data is often entered into a computer from paper documents using a keyboard.
- IT Help Desk – A typical help desk can effectively perform several functions. It provides a single (or multiple) point of contact for users to gain assistance in troubleshooting, get answers to questions, and solve known problems. A help desk generally manages its requests through the use of software such as issue tracking systems. I took on this job to just gain experience with helping people. It was a transitional gig. However this job required that I do a lot of data entry, critical thinking, problem solving and analysis.
- Data Analysis is a process of inspecting, cleansing, transforming, and modeling data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusions, and supporting decision-making. Basically organizing data in a computer system. I did this job to learn more about what I was doing with data systems. Because I was a data entry clerk at some point and while I was doing help desk work I was entering a lot of data, I wondered about the systems I was entering data in.
- Data Engineer – A data engineer is someone who is dedicated towards developing, constructing, testing, and maintaining architectures, such as a large scale processing system or a database. Basically someone who maintains the data that the Data Analyst organized in a data system. Not only do they come up with methods and techniques to improve data efficiency, quality, and reliability, but they also have to implement these methods. This is the logical next step for any Data Analyst.
- Software Engineer – A software engineer builds systems and applications. We are responsible for creating the products that ultimately lead to the creation of the data. When someone like me has been doing data entry, data analyst work as well as data engineering, computer systems have been well navigated by us. So creating a system is an interest and easy for us.
Me being a software engineer is not so far fetched as Stupidity Exodus made it seem. If he does in fact believe that I am a Data Analyst or Data Engineer then believing I’m a Software Engineer is also easy to believe. But when the audience of people are people who do not know any better they can be fed anything. He wanted people to believe that I was lying. When truthfully, I never did.
The rumors about me on YouTube are comical. If you think about them thoroughly they make no sense at all. People say I’m smart enough to get online, hack and find anyone’s information but in the same breath they say I’m too dumb to be an engineer.
Just because I am a woman does not mean that I am not capable of being logical and process information. Don’t let looks, rumors or YouTube fool you.
FYI – these definitions of jobs I’ve done I got off the internet. I made sure I made reference to other content so that I could explain what I was trying to convey thoroughly and accurately.